Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm a sunbeam Day 18

Today is Ian's first day of sunbeams--he of course couldn't go and won't for a while but nonetheless is a sunbeam. I created (with Grandma's help) a sunbeam "sticker" for him and took a picture. Our church time changed to 1pm today as well.

Ian did well with his IV bolus last night so he doesn't need another round today. His prograf level is back towards the normal level so it is looking more likely that tomorrow could be our day to leave the "butterfly hospital". (They have taken down all the Christmas decorations now).

Ian fought his meds a bit last night but overall is a champ at taking them. We are helping him to drink lots of water so we can avoid the NG tube needing to come back into the picture.

The steroids are definitely increasing Ian's appetite--he ate a string cheese, half a yogurt container, chocolate milk, 3 apple slices, two handfuls of trail mix, half a bag of cheetos, and half a rice crispie treat today for lunch. The doctors told us it would make him "eat like a horse". We are going to need to watch his weight gain as that could become a problem.

We are going to attempt to take off more tape goo today as well as get his hair washed in the tub--Brett will hold him while I spray him with a movable shower head. He cannot get wet still (cannot do so until the staples come out) and his PICC line sleeve cover isn't here yet so we want to be a bit more cautious of water.

I was silly and didn't pack any short sleeve shirts for Ian other than PJ shirts so I'll be going to none other htan Target to get one or two. The short sleeves will help getting labs drawn from the line easier than hiking up a long sleeve over the line. The line is covered iwth a stretchy gauze "sleeve" to help it from dangling everywhere and getting caught on things.

Right now, Ian's getting his vitals taken and it isn't his favorite thing. He squeaks a bit and I think it is for show more than anything else.

We'll try to work on helping him to make good sunbeam choices :)

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I can't believe he is a Sunbeam!! Last time I saw him I was telling Jack how mature he seemed...in just a few months he really blossomed. At least you leave nursery germs. I'm jealous.

Nicki said...

Once there was a sunbeam, sunbeam, once there was a sunbeam tall, tall, tall.

I am glad to here all is going well for the most part.

Heather said...

I'm the new Sunbeam teacher here and would love if I could see Ian's shining smile every week, but I know (when he gets to go) he will bring much joy to his own Sunbeam teacher.