Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 22 Still Ill

So Ian isn't himself 100% yet but he is definitely doing better. He was almost readmitted to the hospital yesterday due to low fluids and his liver numbers being off. He had to have labs again today and so far no call to come in for fluids or to be admitted and it is 2pm.

Germs are our enemy now--not like they weren't before but even more so now. In telling Ian about not touching things that are germy, etc I described that germs make us sick and sick can me coughing, a runny nose, spots, a rash, etc. Ian stopped me right there and piped up saying htat "Mr. Puppy has spots". Oh dear! What had I gotten myself into? I had to explain that Mr. Puppy's spots were not because he was sick or germy, etc. Very clever and it made me chuckle at how clever Ian was. We're at half a bottle of germ-x since monday--we use it lots!

The staple removal was trauma as I expected. Having staples removed from my c-section just 2 months ago I knew it wans't entirely pleasant. Ian got a relaxation med to help. He now has steri-stripes or special band-aides on his "letter T".

He continues to fight the meds unless we threaten a call to Santa. We're brainstorming how we can combat that one and ideas or suggestions would be helpful!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I say, keep using Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc.
You could tell him that he can call Thomas the Train (or other train friends) if he takes the meds well and then have grandpa or someone pretend to be Thomas Train on the phone-positive reinforcement, maybe?
It's great to hear of his progress.

Nicki said...

Hopefully with time the medicine will get easier.